Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Faith for Now, Faith for Later

Lately I've been seeing God teach me again about faith. He asks me to trust Him to provide, and so my job is to believe and obey. Ok, sure, I can do that... until something I want is on the line. Do I really believe that He is good? I know what I want, but do I really believe He knows what's best?

My car just broke down... and it's the "good" car of the two we own. We're looking to buy a house, and we've found one we love, but we're not sure if we can swing it. I'm reminded hourly to cast my cares on the One who cares for me. Mr. Spurgeon has a few things to say on faith from his most popular work Morning and Evening:

"Faith’s way of walking is to cast all care upon the Lord, and then to anticipate good results from the worst calamities." Mar. 8th Eve.

“Would you be comfortable and happy? Would you enjoy religion? Would you have the religion of cheerfulness, and not that of gloom? Then have faith in God.” Mar. 7th Morn.

“Faith links me with divinity. Faith clothes me with the power of God. Faith engages on my side the omnipotence of Jehovah. Faith ensures every attribute of God in my defense.” Mar. 19th Morn

Ah, Mr. Spurgeon, how right you are! Do I have that faith? I think so. This week has been hard, but I can point to many a time when Adam and I have been in need and we weren't sure where God's provision would show up and when. But He hasn't lost control of the universe, has He? Certainly He has not! (I think we would have noticed if He had.) And this I must remember: I am held in the same hands that made this universe, that brought the dead back to life, that were pierced through so that He and I might know and love each other. If His grip has not slipped yet, will it now? I know it never will. If He can and chose to so mightily save me, He would not so easily forget me or be powerless to provide for me. So, I'll complete my thoughts again with Mr. Spurgeon who says it best:

“Can you trust Him for your soul’s redemption, and not rely upon Him for a few lesser mercies? Is not God enough for your need, or is His all-sufficiency too narrow for your wants? Do you want another eye beside that of Him who sees every secret thing? Is His heart faint? Is His arm weary? If so, seek another God; but if He be infinite, omnipotent, faithful, true, and all-wise, why move restlessly about abroad so much to seek another confidence? Why do you rake the earth to find another foundation, when this is strong enough to bear all the weight which you could ever build upon it?” Feb12 Morn.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent job fighting for faith Em! I will be praying for your car and your house. That season of looking for a home was a major test to my faith and contentment, but the way God provided caused me to be more in awe of Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed talking with you on Sunday -- thank you for seeking God and then sharing these truths. Praying for you and Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete