Monday, February 28, 2011

Goodbye, My Childhood Home


This weekend I'm in NC helpin' my folks pack-up to move in a few weeks out of the house that I grew up in. It's a bittersweet transition, but God has shown His tenderness and given much encouragement to all involved. I am going to miss this house tho. It's not the biggest house I've ever lived in, or the fanciest or something, but it was home for me for much of my young years and I'll always love it.

It's sad to not be coming back to it for Christmas and vacations. My favorite little pets are all buried in the backyard, my initials are carved in some of those trees too. The walls have dents from my laundry basket and notches where I proved that I was taller than my brothers (that was a long time ago!). The sidewalk displays my initials, the little tree I planted for Mom has grown up like I have, the stairway walls skinned my knuckles multiple times, and I'm still not telling where I hid the time capsule. I've definitely left my mark on this house and it's left it's on me. When I go home to my Virginia today, it will be the last time I close the front door of my childhood home. There's a lot of sweet and silly memories within those walls. From food fights to pillow fights, to composting in the turtle-pen (don't ask), to reading American Girl books on the catwalk with Diana, teaching Tay how to flip play pancakes in the cubby hide-out, sleeping crammed together on the lumpy futon with my Jeni and Liz, trying to be the center of attention at every teen party, family devotions around the breakfast table, the summer of ice cream socials, and the pressure washer shower head. I'm so grateful for the sweet family heritage that this house has been a part of thru the years. In this house I helped teach Patrick to walk, celebrated the "tube-sock Christmas," made best friends, gave my heart fully to Christ, graduated high school, learned to drive my first car, fell in love, got ready for my wedding, and introduced Eva to her great-grandparents. What a special place this has been and will always be.

So, dear old house, I leave my childhood and a little bit of my heart with you. Goodbye.


4 comments:

  1. that is sweet sweet sweet! makes me miss my own childhood home, though our family only lived there for 10 years. So far that's the longest I have lived anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Emily! Is this the house you guys moved into after you left the house next door to us? I remember visiting you here once or twice but it looks so different if this is it! I've discovered in the past few years just how nostalgic I am, so I totally relate to having to say goodbye to a home, I still think back on our house in Brynmoor all the time! But God bless your family's ministry in SC, maybe Joel and I can make it down to visit one week!

    -Amanda Boyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, Em. This about brought tears to my eyes. Sweet memories. I am excited for your parents, though too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! I remember the catwalk and American Girl doll readings...yes...wow!!! Praying for you, dear friend, as you close this chapter and embark on the next God has for you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete