Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Our Dreamy Getaway to Shenandoah

 
 
 What a dreamy time we two had up in the mountains of Shenandoah a few weeks back! It was our first getaway in more than a year, and we were pretty stoked!

We stayed in beautiful Culpeper Co. and enjoyed the country scenery everywhere we drove.


Even when we got lost (doesn't this look rather desperate and desolate?!), it was still lovely.


Frozen springs along Skyline Drive.

Each day, we drove into the mountains of Shenandoah National Park, and hiked the trails of Stony Man Mountain and White Oak Canyon. Here is a nice clean picture of our brand new hiker boots, ready to be broken-in on the muddy winter trails. These are the things I get excited about... and photograph. : )

My mountain man. (note the snow on the trail, it was chilly!)

Making it look harder than it was...

We had to stop and read all the trail markers. Nature nerds. (note the tree growing out of the rock - WILD)

Oh look! It's me being cute along the trail. Awww.

At the peak at last!

On top of our conquered Stony Man Mountain.
 
(How we got the next shot)

iPhone-in-a-tree-trick success!
 
Stony Man is the highest point in the park, so the view was pretty stunning.



 
This day was my favorite.



The next day we headed to White Oak and saw these huge rock formations along the trail. Coolness.

We hiked alongside the falls and ate lunch on a rock in the middle of the stream.


Many of the trees were dead...weird.



My trusty D70 along with my iphone helped capture all the pretty around us.

Another magical day.


Broke 'em in good.



 I think I may have left my heart there in the Valley. Better go back and fetch it sometime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment