Sunday, September 7, 2008

Help Wanted :Coming Clean (and fresh!)

Ladies, I need your help. I have two home-maker questions, well, problems really, that I'd love your help in solving:


First, my darker colored towels won't come out smelling clean. I remove them promptly from the washer when they're done, so they don't have a chance to sour there. And I added baking soda to the wash once, and I may do that again, but I'm out of ideas otherwise. What do you all think?


And second, why do some of my dishes come out of the wash cloudy or slimy? Especially on the top rack. The water gets very hot, so I don't think it's that. Do I need to switch detergents? Does it have to do with water hardness? Should I use less/more detergent? I hope somebody has an idea for this one, because my hands are getting pretty dried out from hand-washing! (I know, I'm a wimp.)

dishwasher vrs. hand-washing

Thank you, my darling friends and fellow house-wives. I look forward to your ideas and suggestions. I love you all much.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Friend! I think I can help you out with the towels, but not the dishes. (I've had the same problems, but have only been able to solve the one.) Okay, next time you wash towels, use more water and less detergent. Then, do a second rinse. The problem is probably soap build up/the detergent not completely rinsing out of your towels. Over time, it makes them stinky. You might also want to try a detergent like Charlie's Soap. I can only find that around here at Earth Fare. Charlie's Soap has a website; you can find out more about it there. It's kinda expensive for a little bag, but it lasts a looonnnggg time. Hope that helps! Let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my advice for the dishes.... get disposable ones :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the best dishwashing soap is the electrasol tabs...I used to have the same issue with liquid, but the electrasol tabs with jet dry are so easy and make your dishes shiny and clear....hope that helps...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yah, what Lora said is good about the towels..also throw a little vinegar (white..you can buy it in bulk really cheap) in the load..but make sure all your towels are similar colors.
    I'm Juli's friend, by the way, and an ex-Crossway lady, not a wacko..well, maybe a little wacky, but you know what i mean.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the dishes, are you using rinse aid in the dw? I like one called "Lemi Shine" available in the grocery store. It makes a difference.

    On the towels, omit fabric softeners in the wash and no dryer sheets....Hope they smell nicer for you!

    Love,
    jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best solution I've found for towels: I only buy white towels so that I can bleach them. I use hot water and bleach and use white vinegar for the rinse. Vinegar gets rid of the soap residue (which makes towels stiff and scratchy) without effecting the absorbency. (Fabric softener makes cotton not absorb as well.) Oh, and I double rinse my towels. I do this to my kitchen towels, too. But, since you have dark blue towels, I guess I'd just suggest using hot water and vinegar rinse. I have no idea about the glasses. Mine come out fine and I just use Walmart store brand.

    PS I enjoy keeping up with what's happening with you and yours via your blog!

    ReplyDelete